What is Feminists Act!?
Feminists Act! is a comprehensive online resource to help individuals determine how, where, when, and why to take action on issues affecting people who identify as women and girls in the United States. On the Feminists Act! website, people can prepare to take action in three key ways:
- LISTEN by reading and sharing stories, essays, and perspectives submitted by artists, activists, and actors in the field;
- LEARN about key feminist issues affecting folks who identify as women and girls across the United States by exploring a multitude of ways to get involved and determining how they can take action in ways that best match their skills, interests, and availability; and
- ACT by discovering and connecting with existing individuals, networks, and organizations doing the important work of protecting and expanding civil, social, cultural, political, and environmental rights of women and girls in the United States.
Who We Are
We are a small collective of volunteers from around the United States who believe in the fundamental human rights of people who identify as women and girls. We saw a gap in how people approach taking action on feminist issues: there were lots of online resources and websites describing what was happening with these issues but not a lot of sites sharing what folks could do about it. We decided to create this site – Feminists Act! – to help people determine how, where, when, and why they can take action on issues that affect folks who identify as women and girls in the United States.
At Feminists Act!, our work is informed by three guiding principles:
- Our feminism is intersectional. There is no room for “white feminism” or any other version of feminism that favors or centers one group of individuals over another in our work. We believe in and fight for equal rights and opportunities for everyone who identifies as women and girls, including, but not limited to, women and girls of color, LGBTQIA folks, indigenous communities, immigrants, religious minorities, and people with disabilities.
- The feminist issues we highlight on this site will be progressive in nature, using Merriam-Webster’s first definition of the word: “of, relating to, or characterized by progress.” We support the creation of new ideas, the expanding of playing fields, and the advancement of equal rights for everyone.
- Whenever possible, we will seek to amplify existing voices, share existing resources, and raise awareness of existing movements and organizations. Our goal is not to replicate change efforts already in motion but rather to help make them even more visible and accessible to broader audiences.
- Any actions you choose to take are your own. Feminists Act! – the website, social media profiles, and the volunteer staff – are not responsible for your actions or the impacts or outcomes of your actions. Feminists Act! is also not responsible for the actions, impacts, or outcomes of any organizations, writers, or other entities shared via this website and its social media profiles.
- As an all-volunteer organization, the information on the Feminists Act! website will be kept up to date as quickly and efficiently as possible. If in doubt, please always conduct your own research to confirm that the information shared here is still current and accurate.
- If you find something on the Feminists Act! website that is out of date, please contact us. Similarly, if you have content to share or resources to add, send us an email!